As Danny Boyle's rag-to-riches drama 'Slumdog Millionaire' won big at the 14th Annual Critics' Choice Awards by nailing five kudos, 'The Dark Knight' and 'Milk' each gained two prizes.
The winners of the 14th annual Critics' Choice Awards have been announced by the Broadcast Film Critics Association (BFCA) at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium on Thursday, January 8, and "Slumdog Millionaire" has come out victorious. The rag-to-riches drama nailed five out of six prizes it was nominated for.
Hailed as the best picture of 2008, it won over strong contenders, including "Changeling", "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and "Milk". It also brought recognitions to its director Danny Boyle, writer Simon Beaufoy, actor Dev Patel and composer A.R. Rahman, who brought home Best Director, Best Writer, Best Young Actor/Actress and Best Composer award respectively.
Meanwhile, Gus Van Sant's biopic drama "Milk", which has dominated the nominations with 8 nods each, only managed to collect two kudos, Best Actor for Sean Penn and Best Acting Ensemble. Also nabbing two prizes at the awards was "The Dark Knight". The Christopher Nolan's superhero movie claimed Best Action Movie title and Best Supporting Actor for Heath Ledger.
On other categories, Anne Hathaway and Meryl Streep were in tie for the Best Actress award, and Kate Winslet was named Best Supporting Actress for her performance in "The Reader". Other winners include "Tropic Thunder", "Wall-E", "Waltz With Bashir" and "Man On Wire".
Aired live on VH1 on Thursday, the gala saw Corbin Bleu, Eva Longoria, Kristen Bell, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, Amy Adams, Elizabeth Banks, Amanda Bynes, Common, Aaron Eckhart, Chris Noth, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Katy Perry, Jason Segel, Sarah Silverman and Ben Stiller among the presenters. The show was opened by Jason Alexander and featured rock band Rooney.
14th Annual Critics' Choice Awards Winners List:
- Best Picture: "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Best Action Movie: "The Dark Knight"
- Best Comedy Movie: "Tropic Thunder"
- Best Animated Feature: "Wall-E"
- Best Director: Danny Boyle, "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Best Writer: Simon Beaufoy, "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Best Actor: Sean Penn, "Milk"
- Best Actress (Tie): Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married" and Meryl Streep, "Doubt"
- Best Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"
- Best Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet, "The Reader"
- Best Young Actor/Actress: Dev Patel, "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Best Acting Ensemble: "Milk"
- Best Picture Made for Television: "John Adams"
- Best Foreign Language Film: "Waltz With Bashir"
- Best Documentary Feature: "Man On Wire"
- Best Song: "The Wrestler" by Bruce Springsteen, "The Wrestler"
- Best Composer: A.R. Rahman, "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Joel Siegel Award: Richard Gere