As the nominations of the 40th NAACP Image Awards came out, 'The Secret Life of Bees' and 'Cadillac Records' show their domination, receiving more than five nods each.
The nominees for the 40th NAACP Image Awards have been announced. During a press conference at The Beverly Hilton Hotel on Wednesday, January 7, it was uncovered that "The Secret Life of Bees" and "Cadillac Records" have led the fields with multiple counts. Southern-set drama "Secret Life" collected 8 nods, while musical drama "Cadillac" received 7 gongs.
Both "Secret Life" and "Cadillac" will have to compete against each other for many categories including, Outstanding Motion Picture and Outstanding Writing. In the run for Outstanding Motion Picture, the two were joined by Spike Lee's "Miracle at St. Anna", Gabriele Muccino's "Seven Pounds" and Tyler Perry's "The Family That Preys". Meanwhile, for the writing category, they are up against "Rachel Getting Married", "A Raisin In The Sun" and "Noah's Arc: Jumping the Broom".
Beside the two categories, "Secret Life" and "Cadillac" have also brought their stars nominations. Dakota Fanning and Queen Latifah got Outstanding Actress nod, Nate Parker was on the run for Outstanding Supporting Actor prize, and Alicia Keys, Jennifer Hudson and Sophie Okonedo gained Outstanding Supporting Actress counts for their performances in "Secret Life". "Cadillac", on the other hand, gave a nod each to Jeffrey Wright for Outstanding Actor, Cedric the Entertainer, Columbus Short and Mos Def for Outstanding Supporting Actor, and Beyonce Knowles for Outstanding Supporting Actress.
The 40th NAACP Image Awards nominees were announced by NAACP Image Awards Committee Chair Clayola Brown and the awards' show Executive Producer Vicangelo Bulluck. The two were joined by Corbin Bleu, Audra McDonald, Keke Palmer, Nate Parker and Regina Taylor. Nominees in the Directing Category will be announced at a later date. While the complete list of nominees, which include the nominees for television, recording and literature, can be read at NAACP Image Awards, the nominees list of motion picture categories are listed below.
The 40th NAACP Image Awards will air live from Los Angeles' Shrine Auditorium on Thursday, February 12 (8:00 - 10:00 P.M. ET/PT Tape-delayed) on FOX. It will be hosted by Academy Award-winner Halle Berry and acclaimed screenwriter/actor Tyler Perry, both recipients of an NAACP Image Award.
Nominees of the 40th NAACP Image Awards in Motion Picture Categories:
Outstanding Motion Picture:
- "Cadillac Records"
- "Miracle at St. Anna"
- "The Secret Life of Bees"
- "Seven Pounds"
- "The Family That Preys"
- Derek Luke, "Miracle at St. Anna"
- Don Cheadle, "Traitor"
- Jeffrey Wright, "Cadillac Records"
- Rob Brown, "The Express"
- Will Smith, "Seven Pounds"
- Alfre Woodard, "The Family That Preys"
- Angela Bassett, "Meet The Browns"
- Dakota Fanning, "The Secret Life of Bees"
- Queen Latifah, "The Secret Life of Bees"
- Rosario Dawson, "Seven Pounds"
- Cedric the Entertainer, "Cadillac Records"
- Columbus Short, "Cadillac Records"
- Dev Patel, "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Mos Def, "Cadillac Records"
- Nate Parker, "The Secret Life of Bees"
- Alicia Keys, "The Secret Life of Bees"
- Beyonce Knowles, "Cadillac Records"
- Jennifer Hudson, "The Secret Life of Bees"
- Sophie Okonedo, "The Secret Life of Bees"
- Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- "Noah's Arc: Jumping the Broom"
- "Rachel Getting Married"
- "Slumdog Millionaire"
- "The Visitor"
- Darnell Martin, "Cadillac Records"
- Gina Prince-Bythewood, "The Secret Life of Bees"
- Jenny Lumet, "Rachel Getting Married"
- Paris Qualles, "A Raisin In The Sun"
- Patrik-Ian Polk & John R. Gordon, "Noah's Arc: Jumping the Broom"