'Doubt' tops the 15th Annual SAG Awards' nomination with five nods, while 'The Curious Case of Benjamin Button' and 'Milk' trail behind with three each.
Announcing their nominees selection for the 15th Annual SAG Awards on Thursday, December 18, Screen Actors Guild embraced "Doubt", giving the John Patrick Shanley's drama the most nominations. In the announcement made by Angela Bassett and Eric McCormack, it was revealed that the movie received five counts, including nod for outstanding performance by a motion picture cast.
For the cast ensemble title, "Doubt" will have to face tough contenders, "Frost/Nixon", "Milk", "Slumdog Millionaire" and "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button". Beside the cast ensemble category, the movie about sexual and religious power struggles at a Bronx Catholic school in 1964 has also secured nominations for each of its major cast member, Meryl Streep for leading actress category, and Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams and Viola Davis for the supporting actor and actress categories.
Apart from "Doubt", "Benjamin Button" and "Milk" have also nailed multiple nominations as each of them got three counts for the awards. Adding to outstanding performance by a motion picture cast nod, "Benjamin Button" put Brad Pitt and Taraji P. Henson on the run for outstanding leading actor and outstanding supporting actress title, while "Milk" gave two of its actors, Sean Penn and Josh Brolin, a chance to win outstanding leading actor and outstanding supporting actor kudo.
The nominees announcement was made at the Pacific Design Center's Silver Screen Theater in West Hollywood, Los Angeles. While Angela Bassett and Eric McCormack also announced the nominees for this year's Actors in television category, SAG Awards committee member JoBeth Williams and Committee Vice Chair Daryl Anderson announced the stunt ensemble nominees. The 15th Annual SAG Awards itself will be broadcast live from the Los Angeles Shrine Exposition Center on Sunday, January 25, 2009 at 8 P.M. ET/PT, 7 P.M. CT, and 6 P.M. MT on both TNT and TBS.
The full motion picture nominees list of the 15th Annual SAG Awards:
Male Actor in a Leading Role:
- Richard Jenkins, "The Visitor"
- Frank Langella, "Frost/Nixon"
- Sean Penn, "Milk"
- Brad Pitt, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- Mickey Rourke, "The Wrestler"
- Anne Hathaway, "Rachel Getting Married"
- Angelina Jolie, "Changeling"
- Melissa Leo, "Frozen River"
- Meryl Streep, "Doubt"
- Kate Winslet, "Revolutionary Road"
- Josh Brolin, "Milk"
- Robert Downey Jr., "Tropic Thunder"
- Philip Seymour Hoffman, "Doubt"
- Heath Ledger, "The Dark Knight"
- Dev Patel, "Slumdog Millionaire"
- Amy Adams, "Doubt"
- Penelope Cruz, "Vicky Cristina Barcelona"
- Viola Davis, "Doubt"
- Taraji P. Henson, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
- Kate Winslet, "The Reader"
- "The Dark Knight"
- "Hellboy II: The Golden Army"
- "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull"
- "Iron Man"
- "Wanted (2008)"