As winners of the 34th Annual Saturn Awards were announced on Tuesday, June 24, it was revealed that Disney's 'Enchanted' walked away with the most trophies beating out nomination leader '300'.
On Tuesday, June 24, night, the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films celebrated the top works done in science fiction, fantasy, and horror in feature film by handing out statuettes for the 34th Saturn Awards at the Universal Hilton Hotel in Universal City. Coming out as the dominating champion was Walt Disney Pictures' musical film "Enchanted".
Though the movie that blends live-action, traditional animation and CGI technique was earlier outshone by "300" which earned ten Saturn nominations compared to its three gongs, the Kevin Lima-directed movie managed to nail all of its counts making it to be the movie which brought the most prizes home. On the special night, it was hailed to be the Best Fantasy Film and its leading actress Amy Adams as well as its composer Alan Menken were given each kudo for Best Actress and Best Music respectively.
On the case of "300", the epic movie about Spartan warriors should be satisfied with only two awards, one for Best Action/Adventure/Thriller film and the other for its director Zack Snyder. Though losing on the other eight categories, the movie still managed to beat out strong contenders, including Academy Award-winning movie "No Country for Old Men" and movie critics favorite "There Will Be Blood".
Other movie winners for the 2008 Saturn Awards include "Cloverfield" for Best Science Fiction Film, "Sweeney Todd" for Best Horror Film, "Ratatouille" for Best Animated Film and "Eastern Promises" for Best International Film. Meanwhile, in the performers categories, Will Smith walked away with Best Actor prize for his acting in "I Am Legend", Javier Bardem of "No Country" and Marcia Gay Harden of "The Mist" garnered Best Supporting Actor and Actress respectively, and Freddie Highmore was awarded with Best Performance by a Younger Actor for his portrayal of talented musician in "August Rush".
The complete winners list of the 34th Annual Saturn Awards in the feature film category:
- Best Science Fiction Film: "Cloverfield"
- Best Fantasy Film: "Enchanted"
- Best Horror Film: "Sweeney Todd"
- Best Action/Adventure/Thriller Film: "300"
- Best Actor: Will Smith, "I Am Legend"
- Best Actress: Amy Adams, "Enchanted"
- Best Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem, "No Country for Old Men"
- Best Supporting Actress: Marcia Gay Harden, "The Mist"
- Best Performance by a Younger Actor: Freddie Highmore, "August Rush"
- Best Direction: Zack Snyder, "300"
- Best Writing: Brad Bird, "Ratatouille"
- Best Music: Alan Menken, "Enchanted"
- Best Costume: Colleen Atwood, "Sweeney Todd"
- Best Make-Up: Ve Neill, Martin Samuel, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End"
- Best Special Effects: Scott Farrar, Scott Benza, Russell Earl, John Frazier, "Transformers"
- Best International Film, "Eastern Promises"
- Best Animated Film, "Ratatouille"
- George Pal Memorial Award: Guillermo del Toro
- Life Career Award: Robert Halmi, Sr. and Robert Halmi, Jr.
- Filmmakers Showcase Award: Matt Reeves, "Cloverfield"