Dominating the 33rd Cesar Awards by nailing 5 prizes, the Edith Piaf biopic drama didn't managed to win the coveted Best Film kudo as it lost to 'The Secret of the Grain'.
Nominated for 11 Cesar Awards categories, acclaimed biopic drama "La Vie en Rose" didn't managed to make clean sweep at the winner announcement ceremony held on Friday, February 22 at the Theatre du Chatelet in Paris. Though able to bring home most of the awards given out that night, the Oliver Dahan-directed film only won five awards from the overall twenty prizes.
What made it even more disappointing, the film based on the life of French singer Edith Piaf has to let go the top prize of Best Film as well as the kudo for Best Director to its contender "The Secret of the Grain". Still, the film got its consolation prize when its leading actress Marion Cotillard who is also up for the 80th Academy Award - Best Actress nailed the coveted Best Actress kudo. Further, aside from getting the Best Actress award, the Picturehouse Entertainment's film also brought home four other prizes, that is, Best Sound, Best Cinematography, Best Art Direction and Best Costume Design.
Proving that it worth winning the desirable Best Film awards and Best Director, "Rose" strongest contender "Grain" followed the biopic drama closely as the film about a Tunisian immigrant family garnered two other respective kudos. The Claude Berri-produced film won the Best Original Screenplay prize as well as Breakthrough Performance for an Actress for Hafsia Herzi.
Other notable winners at the event were the star of "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly", Mathieu Amalric who received Best Actor prize, the actor of "The Witnesses" Sami Bouajila who got Best Supporting Actor, and the actress of "Un secret" Julie Depardieu who was given the Best Supporting Actress kudo. Additionally, the animation drama "Persepolis" brought home two awards, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best First Film. The complete list of the 33rd Cesar Awards' winner can be seen at LesCesarDuCinema.com or read it below.
The winners of the 33rd Annual Cesar Awards:
- Film: Abdellatif Kechiche, "The Secret of the Grain"
- Actress: Marion Cotillard, "La Vie en rose"
- Actor: Mathieu Amalric, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
- Supporting Actress: Julie Depardieu, "Un secret"
- Supporting Actor: Sami Bouajila, "The Witnesses"
- Breakthrough Performance, Actress: Hafsia Herzi, "The Secret of the Grain"
- Breakthrough Performance, Actor: Laurent Stocker, "Hunting and Gathering"
- Director: Abdellatif Kechiche, "The Secret of the Grain"
- Original Screenplay: Abdellatif Kechiche, "The Secret of the Grain"
- Adapted Screenplay: Marjane Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud, "Persepolis"
- First Film: "Persepolis", Satrapi and Paronnaud
- Sound: Laurent Zellig, Pascal Villard and Jean-Paul Hurier, "La Vie en rose"
- Original Score: Alex Beaupain, "Les chansons d'amour"
- Cinematography: Tetsuo Nagata, "La Vie en rose"
- Art Direction: Olivier Raoux, "La Vie en rose"
- Costume Design: Marit Allen, "La Vie en rose"
- Editing: Juliette Welfing, "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly"
- Short: "Le Mozart des pickpockets", Philippe Pollet-Villard
- Foreign Film: "The Lives of Others", Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck (Germany)
- Documentary Feature: "Terror's Advocat", Barbet Schroeder