"Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End" was named Favorite Movie at the 34th annual People's Choice Awards aired on CBS on Tuesday, January 08, 2008.
Though the awards ceremony of the 34th annual People's Choice Awards was using different format this year, the blockbuster threequel "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End" still has a lot to celebrate. The action adventure film nabbed two awards at the event aired on CBS on Tuesday, January 8.
The Walt Disney Pictures' film produced by Jerry Bruckheimer nailed the Favorite Movie prize as well as the Favorite Threequel. Additionally, two of its cast members, Johnny Depp and Keira Knightley, also scored Favorite Male Movie Star and Favorite Female Action Star respectively.
On the special event, Drew Barrymore was hailed as the Favorite Leading Lady for her performance in "Music and Lyrics", while Joaquin Phoenix got the title of Favorite Leading Man for "We Own The Night". On receiving the kudo, the "Walk the Line" star said, "I'm speechless without the writers, but in my own special way." He then wrote down on cue cards which he eventually showed to the camera read, "What is wrong with you people? Thank you."
Besides the Favorite Movie award, there were also other favorite movie awards given to drama, action, comedy, family and independent movie. The Favorite Movie Drama went to "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", while in respective order, "The Bourne Ultimatum", "Knocked Up" and "Shrek the Third" were each named Favorite Action Movie, Favorite Movie Comedy and Favorite Family Movie. Anne Hathaway's drama "Becoming Jane" won Favorite Independent Movie.
Unlike the years prior, the 2008 People's Choice Awards was broadcast with a different format because of the on-going Hollywood writers' strike. The show which used to be aired live was taped earlier and the winners have already been informed by the organizer so that they can send a video acceptance message.
The full list of the 34th annual People's Choice Awards' movie winners:
- Favorite Leading Lady: Drew Barrymore, "Music and Lyrics"
- Favorite Leading Man: Joaquin Phoenix, "We Own The Night"
- Favorite Female Movie Star: Reese Witherspoon
- Favorite Male Movie Star: Johnny Depp
- Favorite Female Action Star: Keira Knightley
- Favorite Male Action Star: Matt Damon
- Favorite On-Screen match up: George Clooney and Brad Pitt, "Ocean's 13"
- Favorite Movie: "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End"
- Favorite Movie Drama: "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"
- Favorite Action Movie: "The Bourne Ultimatum"
- Favorite Movie Comedy: "Knocked Up"
- Favorite Family Movie: "Shrek the Third"
- Favorite Threequel: "Pirates of the Caribbean: At Worlds End"
- Favorite Independent Movie: "Becoming Jane"