October 19, 2007 05:07:49 GMT
In contrast to his previous remark, the actor is willing to stay in "Bourne" franchise if director Paul Greengrass intends to make another installment of the series.
It appears that Matt Damon has got a change of mind about Jason Bourne, the former CIA assassin he played in the three installments of "Bourne" film series.
Previously signaled to have had enough of portraying the character at this year's Cannes Film Fest, the actor surprisingly said Thursday (Oct. 18) he was open to another chapter of the franchise, revealing his willingness to reprise his role should director Paul Greengrass wants to realize it.
"If Paul Greengrass, maybe years down the road, was interested in doing another one, then I would do it, too," he said in Tokyo. "I don't think either of us completely put the character to bed yet."
Damon, who received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame last July, also admitted the taciturn American spy to be his biggest professional success since 1997's "Good Will Hunting", which won him an Oscar for best original screenplay in 1998.
"Personally, the character means a lot to me because the character has done so much for my career," he confessed. "You know, it put me in the position where I have a lot more choices of kind of movies I want to make."
The latest "Bourne" take, "The Bourne Ultimatum", scored $69.2 million in domestic ticket sales in its opening weekend of August 3-5, 2007 and so far has grossed over $225 million in North America only. Pic was premiered in Japan yesterday, October 18 to then hit local theaters next month.