Justin Timberlake and Beyonce Knowles unmistakably lead the number of nominations followed by Kanye West, Rihanna and British sensation Amy Winehouse.
2007 MTV Video Music Awards nominees are in. On the terms of most count, the list has Justin Timberlake and Beyonce Knowles who both own seven nods each while on the terms of today's big buzz, Rihanna and Amy Winehouse came quite unsurprising.
Although having a great chance to bring home a statuette this year, Timberlake and Knowles are facing tough competition this year mainly on the highest nomination in the award. Video of the Year put Timberlake's 'What Goes Around..." and Knowles' 'Irreplaceable' on the same level to Kanye West's 'Stronger', Rihanna's 'Umbrella', Winehouse's 'Rehab' and unexpectedly, French electronic duo Justice's 'D.A.N.C.E.'
Timberlake's 'What Goes Around...' also lead him to garner Best Director and Best Editing in a Video, but his sole effort is being challenged to win Quadruple Threat of the Year, a nomination hailing acts with achievement in multiple fields like fashion, dance, philanthropy, acting, business and of course, music. Thanks to his blasting work with Timbaland on 'SexyBack', Timberlake is also up for Most Earthshattering Collaboration. Still to come is his Grammy-winning 'My Love' that now is a potential winner of Best Choreography in a Video, this and the earlier nominations are enough to put Timberlake as worthy contender of Male Artists of the Year.
Knowles' nominations are the imprints of Timberlake's except for the work being put to competition and the unavoidable gender category Female Artists of the Year. Her duet with Shakira in 'Beautiful Liar' has led her being nominated for all Best Director, Earthshattering Collaboration, and Best Editing in a Video.
A new category is added this year called Monster Single of the Year where Rihanna's 'Umbrella' unmistakably put under along with DAUGHTRY's 'Home', Fall Out Boy's 'Thnks fr th Mmrs' and seven others. As usual, the winner of Best New Artists where Winehouse, Carrie Underwood, Gym Class Heroes, Lily Allen and Peter Bjorn and John are lying under, will be determined through voting on mtv.com.
Stage performers this year are not far from the nominated artists. Winehouse, Rihanna, West and Timberlake among others are expected to rock the house at Las Vegas' Palms Casino Resorts. The show will begin September 9 at 9 p.m. ET but a preshow is held one hour prior.
2007 MTV VMA Nominees:
Video of the Year
- Amy Winehouse: "Rehab"
- Beyonce Knowles: "Irreplaceable"
- Justice: "D.A.N.C.E."
- Justin Timberlake: "What Goes Around ..."
- Kanye West: "Stronger"
- Rihanna (featuring Jay-Z): "Umbrella"
- Amy Winehouse
- Carrie Underwood
- Gym Class Heroes
- Lily Allen
- Peter Bjorn and John
- Akon (featuring Eminem): "Smack That"
- Beyonce and Shakira: "Beautiful Liar"
- Justin Timberlake (featuring Timbaland): "SexyBack"
- Gwen Stefani (featuring Akon): "The Sweet Escape"
- U2 (featuring Green Day): "The Saints Are Coming"
- Avril Lavigne: "Girlfriend"
- DAUGHTRY: "Home"
- Fall Out Boy: "Thnks Fr Th Mmrs"
- Lil Mama: "Lip Gloss"
- T-Pain (featuring Yung Joc): "Buy U a Drank (Shawty Snappin')"
- Timbaland (featuring Keri Hilson, D.O.E. and Sebastian): "The Way I Are"
- MIMS: "This Is Why I'm Hot"
- Plain White T's: "Hey There Delilah"
- Rihanna (featuring Jay-Z): "Umbrella"
- Shop Boyz: "Party Like a Rockstar"
- Beyonce and Shakira: "Beautiful Liar" (director: Jake Nava)
- Christina Aguilera: "Candyman" (directors: Matthew Rolston and Christina Aguilera)
- Justin Timberlake: "What Goes Around ..." (director: Samuel Bayer)
- Kanye West: "Stronger" (director: Hype Williams)
- Linkin Park: "What I've Done" (director: Joseph Hahn)
- Rihanna (featuring Jay-Z): "Umbrella" (director: Chris Applebaum)
- Beyonce and Shakira: "Beautiful Liar" (editor: Jarett Figl)
- Gnarls Barkley: "Smiley Faces" (editor: Ken Mowe)
- Justin Timberlake: "What Goes Around ... Comes Around" (editor: Hollee Singer)
- Kanye West: "Stronger" (editors: Peter Johnson and Corey Weisz)
- Linkin Park: "What I've Done" (editor: Igor Kovalik)
- Beyonce and Shakira: "Beautiful Liar" (choreographer: Frank Gatson)
- Chris Brown: "Wall to Wall" (choreographers: Rich & Tone and Flii Styles)
- Ciara: "Like a Boy" (choreographer: Jamaica Craft)
- Eve: "Tambourine" (choreographer: Tahesha Scott)
- Justin Timberlake: "My Love" (choreographer: Marty Kudelka)