Des'ree, Razorlight and U2 each have their post in this list of songs with worst lyrics according to BBC6 Music listeners.
Ten pop songs have been listed through BBC 6 Music ballot to reign the worst lyrics chart. Des'ree's "Life" came out the ultimate 'winner' by sitting at the 1st post through a 30 per cent votes.
Announcing the top ten list, the radio presenter Marc Riley says, "Bad lyrics can come in all forms - some acceptable, some less so. Dumb is sometimes OK, but pious and pretentious and pompous are obviously never to be encouraged nor tolerated." In defense to this, Martin Fry from English band ABC who sat at #4 said, "I have been waiting for this kind of accolade for years. The most memorable lyrics are often the stupidest."
Ten musicians having the worst lyrics according to BBC 6 listeners are:
1. Des'ree - 'Life': "I don't want to see a ghost/It's the sight that I fear most/I'd rather have a piece of toast/Watch the evening news"
2. Snap! - 'Rhythm Is A Dancer': "I'm as serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer"
3. Razorlight - 'Somewhere Else': "And I met a girl/She asked me my name/I told her what it was"
4. ABC - 'That Was Then But This Is Now' : "More sacrifices than an Aztec priest/Standing here straining at that leash/All fall down/Can't complain, mustn't grumble/Help yourself to another piece of apple crumble!"
5. U2 - 'Elevation': "I've got no self control/Been living like a mole now/Going down, excavation/High and high in the sky/You make me feel like I can fly/So high/Elevation"
6. Toto - 'Africa': "The wild dogs cry out in the night/As they grow restless longing for some solitary company/I know that I must do what's right/Sure as Kilimanjaro rises like Olympus above the Serengeti"
7. Oasis - 'Champagne Supernova': "Slowly walking down the hall/Faster than a cannonball/Where were you when we were getting high?"
8. Duran Duran - 'Is There Something I Should Know?': "And fiery demons all dance when you walk through that door/Don't say you're easy on me you're about as easy as a nuclear war"
9. Human League - 'The Lebanon': "Before he leaves the camp he stops/He scans the world outside/And where there used to be some shops/Is where the snipers sometimes hide"
10. Black Sabbath - 'War Pigs': "Generals gathered in their masses/Just like witches at black masses"